Windows Apps That Amaze Us
Inspired by GitHub repo Awesome Windows
The purpose of this book is to introduce awesome apps on Windows. These apps here all meet condition listed on our Org home
Note: Apps that meet the following conditions will NOT be listed although they may deserve a try:
- Modified or cracked versions of an app, such as unofficial ad-free versions which can provide a better user experience than the original versions. This rule does not apply to modifications permitted by the open-source license.
- Apps that are useful only in limited areas, such as NPR One and IME.
- Apps that are incompatible with 64-bit OS.
- Apps that mainly concentrate on attacking and/or hacking.
- Pure website wrappers.
Apps that can be categorized in multiple ways are categorized by what they are intended for; A note will be provided for compatibility issues of some very individual apps.
There is a blacklist at the end of the book containing apps that violate users' rights, security and privacy severely. These apps are to be avoided.
This project is licensed under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 International License. If you need to quote the contents of this book, you must add a notice including the homepage of the project: GitBook address.
Changelog is available here.
Requires purchase. Does not include freemium as long as the free version is usable.
Open-source apps. Tooltips follow the format of
"license@host site: source URL". For example,
"GPL v2.0@Github https://github.com/AmazingApps/Amazing-Windows-Apps".
A portable version of the app is available. An app is called portable, if its configurations or preferences are stored under the root directory of the app instead of the registry, application data folders and home directory.
Cross platform apps.
Apps with localization for major languages.
- A national or regional flag is marked if only one or a few languages are supported.
Command line interface (CLI) only.
Apps available from Windows store.
- The app had a bad reputation in the past.
- The app has not been updated for a long time, and it is not clear whether the app is still maintained.
Except where otherwise noted, all contents in this Org is licensed under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 International License.